Friday, December 24, 2010

Cuting out Christmas cookies! -revised-

Here we are cutting out the cookies! It's so fun that the girls are both at an age where they are really enjoying this! I'm really glad that the gluten free recipe that I sort of fixed up worked out so well.

"What... I didn't bite the head off of this cookies that I was supposed to put sprinkles on." ;]
Lily did a great job on her decorating and put white stripes and red sprinkles on the candy cane cookies. :]
Ta Da! They are beautiful! Renna did a good job on the sprinkles. ;] Hey, if anyone wants the gluten free sugar cookies recipe from me, just let me know. I don't have time to post it right now.. Maybe I'll have time to add it later.

---
And now, here is the softest Christmas cookie that is gluten free that I've seen.

Cream together--

3/4 to 1 cup sugar (I use raw sugar and use 3/4 of a cup if you are going to frost them well and 1 cup if you are going to just add some sprinkles... see end note about rolling them out as well and sugar.)

1/2 cup soft butter

1/8 tsp salt

2 egg yolks

1 egg

1/2 tsp Almond OR vanilla extract

Dissolve 1/2 tsp baking soda in 1 T. Hot water and add it in as well

1/2 cup sour cream (the "secret ingredient") get the REAL stuff btw... the kind that just says "cream" as the ingredient.


Now, in a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients---

1 & 3/4 cup brown rice flour

1 & 1/4 cup tapioca startch

1 & 1/2 tsp xanthan gum

1/2 tsp cream of tartar

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin

1/2 tsp nutmeg

Add this flour mixture to the first bowl and mix. You want the consistency to be pretty soft, but just firm enough to be able to take a spatula and pile it all into a lump in the middle. It will be sticky, but not runny.

Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

It's probably best to use cutters that aren't any bigger than 3x3 inches because gluten free things tend to crumble more easily, but experiment to see what works for you and what you like.

When I rolled it out (about 1/4 of an inch thick) I needed a lot of rice flour (of course) and it's good to not try to roll out the entire thing.. take no more than a quarter of it at a time and just keep adding a bit more from the bowl as you need it. One thing that I also did after testing the first cookies.. was that I used the 3/4 cup of sugar and found that if I sprinkled some sugar with the flour while I rolled it out it was REALLY good and didn't need any frosting or anything. Though, it still tasted good with frosting and sprinkles too. I personally don't like them super sweet.

Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 for 6-9 minutes. Gluten free things tend to dry out more quickly so try to bake it so it's *just* under being browned on the edges. You want it done of course, but still fluffy!

No comments: