Tuesday, October 09, 2012

gluten free pumpkin cream spice filled pizzelles

 I wrote up some gluten free recipes for the pizzelle on a former post so I will try to not repeat myself too much.  I have a few things to add now though!  My husband wanted a sort of cream cheese spicy pumpkin filling in the pizzelles for his birthday.  Personally, I'd have gone with just nutella, but it is becoming cooler and Autumn is in the air so the pumpkin thing was a good idea.

A few changes from the former recipe is that I've been using Pamela's gluten free mixes so I didn't have all the individual flours like the original post uses.
1 &3/4 cup flour mix
half a stick of butter (or so)
3/4 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp anise extract or vanilla extract (I used vanilla because it matched the pumpkin filling best)
(and 2 tsps of baking powder if you don't use a mix that already has that in it.)

The filling was about a half a can of pumpkin
one thing of cream cheese
about a 1/2 cup of honey or agave (or to your taste!  I kept tasting as I went)
1 tsp of cinamon
1/2 tsp of nutmeg
1/2 tsp of ground cloves
1/2 tsp of ginger
(Again, taste it and add more spice if you like it spicier or more sweetener if you like it sweeter.)
Spread out the filling along one edge and start on that side to roll it up.  You've got to do this really fast before the pizzelles harden.  After they are rolled up just put them on a plate and stick them in the fridge so they cool quickly.

Here's my example of one that I overdid and the blond one that rolled correctly.  The one that is more done tasted fine, but it was too crispy to roll well.  Be prepared to open the Pizzelle maker 30 seconds after putting the batter in to check them.  They cook super fast and it's really easy to over do them.
So, in the end it was much easier than I thought it would be!  You can use your own frosting (or nutella!) or another filling of your choice.  They keep well in the fridge for several days (IF they last that long!)

If you have any questions write them in the comments and I will be happy to clarify... or if you have specific flours that you'd like to use you can ask about that too and I can help with the ratios and how to use them.

No comments: